Happy Wednesday You Wild Wonderbeams (is that even a word??)!
Alright folks, it’s time to get serious. I want you all to be super healthy and happy and live forever, so this comes out of love :).
I was listening to the “Primal Diet-Modern Health” radio show this morning as I was working away and I was really inspired by her message. I also know that some of my close friends and family think that I’ve lost my mind and completely gone off the deep end with this whole Paleo lifestyle thing but humor me for a minute. I promise this will at the very least, stimulate you to think about what you’re eating. If this makes you angry or uncomfortable then I’m getting my point across (told you I was getting serious).
I wanted to share this radio show that I found. One of my favorite authors (Sara Fragoso) is a guest on this particular show and the host, Beverly is SO good at very simply explaining all things Paleo and why they’re important. She’s a holistic nutritionist and her motto is “Food First!” Meaning before we start treating symptoms as they arise (and by treating, I mean by throwing drugs at them), why aren’t we looking at WHY these things are happening to us!? Why am I always tired? Why is my blood pressure and cholesterol so high?
Take a look around you, would you say that us Americans are a healthy people? Or would say we’re a sick, fat, out out of shape population that’s riddled with debilitating diseases? Do you think diabetes and heart disease were around 50,000 years ago? Better yet, how about cancer?? The answer is no, they were not.
What if I were to ask you what you thought a lion should eat? You would surely say meat. What about an anteater (lol duh)? And a cow, grass right?? A frog? Bugs and other little crawly things! Now the tricky part….what are humans supposed to eat? I can tell you what we’re DEFINITELY NOT supposed to eat: grains, refined sugar, processed foods, complex carbohydrates (they’re called complex for a reason folks!). If you want to get your paws on some solid science backing all of this, I suggest you read “The Paleo Diet” by Dr. Loren Cordain.
And to answer another few of your questions/apprehensions:
- Yes, all of this evidence is published in LOADS of medical studies and journals.
- Yes, I am telling you that we brought diseases like diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, high blood pressure and obesity upon ourselves by eating a diet that our bodies were not designed to eat.
- Yes, I understand that you LOVE pasta and you couldn’t live without cupcakes and toast and cereal are really what you enjoy for breakfast.
- Why are we just finding out about all of this now? Because the findings are relatively new (within the last 10 years or so). But the cool part is that we have 200, o00 years of history to prove it.
- PS- We only started eating grains about 9000 years ago (thanks Dr. Cordain), a tiny hash mark in the grand scheme of us humans/cavemen who have been around for about 2.5 million years. Think about that, we’ve only been eating this junk for 9000 years and looks what’s happened. Wah wah wah…
- But Lauren, whole grains are good for you!!! WRONG. Where did you hear that? That whole grains are “heart heathly” from a cereal box? From your doctor that probably hasn’t done any research on modern health since they got their Doctorate 30 years ago? Read THIS.
- But Paleo is expensive! No, no it’s not. Read here.
Pretty please for me, just sit down and listen to this one show (you can even just listen to the 1st 1/2 hour!). She’s fantastic!
- you don’t sleep well
- you’re tired all the time
- depression and anxiety
- you get colds frequently
- you have digestive problems or stomach aches
- you get massive headaches
- have high blood pressure
- can’t seem to loose any weight
- you get rashes
- you have allergies
- you have high triglycerides or blood sugar
- Severe hangovers
- you get hot flashes or severe cramps-menopause/menstrual issues
- you get heartburn/acid refulx